An automated home sprinkler system has a lot of advantages. But smart sprinklers offer greater flexibility, control, and cost reduction that homeowners and property managers are happy to utilize. But knowing what sort of system is ideal for your home landscaping can be tricky as there are thousands of different sprinkler heads, rain sensors, smartphone apps, and more. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of having a professional home sprinkler installation.
Older Sprinkler System Limitations
Traditional automated sprinkler systems used controllers and rain sensors which utilized rudimentary weather tech to know when plants need water and when no additional watering is necessary. But these systems, though useful, are very limited in the functionality and customization that they offer.
Let’s take a look at some of the limitations:
- You schedule watering from 5 am – 6 am, three days a week, and it runs at those times. But if you are away and it has been raining all week, the system doesn’t know this and will continue to overwater your lawn and gardens.
- You have rain sensors installed but they never accurately measure the level of rain that has fallen and tend to overwater or underwater consistently, leaving your lawn and plants saturated or dehydrated.
- You are away on vacation and have a watering schedule of 1 hour at 8 am 4 days a week. But when you’re away a heavy drought hits the region making lawn watering temporarily banned. You are away and can’t shut off the watering schedule and come home to a few neighborhood watch complaints and even a ticker or two from the local police.
- You are out of town for a business trip and your system has a preset watering schedule. But one of the pipes bursts causing a flood on your lawn that wastes a huge amount of water. Your home irrigation system is not able to send you a notification that the system has a malfunction and water continues to flood your lawn and flower beds, killing all water-sensitive species. You come home to an expensive mess that requires lots of time and cost to rectify.
Sprinkler Automation and Monitoring on the Go
We’ve seen a few examples of limitations within a traditional home sprinkler setup. Now let’s look at the same 4 examples but with a Smart wifi/bluetooth connected sprinkler system.
- You schedule watering from 5 am – 6 am, three days a week, and it runs at those times. But it has been raining and the smart sprinkler system is able to determine no more water is necessary at the moment and it cancels the schedule until a time when rain has ceased or been greatly reduced to justify further watering of your lawn and garden.
- Modern rain sensors that can connect to the national weather service are able to monitor and predict rain levels with a high level of accuracy. You can stay confident the system will know when to and when to not water based on actual weather patterns in your area.
- You are away on vacation and have a watering schedule of 1 hour at 8 am 4 days a week. But when you’re away a heavy drought hits the region making lawn watering temporarily banned. You hop on the smartphone app managing your sprinkler system and shut off the watering schedule until you know the drought has passed, then you simply turn the schedule and sensors back on normally.
- You are out of town for a business trip and your system has a preset watering schedule. But one of the pipes bursts causing a flood on your lawn that wastes a huge amount of water. The smart sprinklers send you text and email notifications of the compromise while also shutting off the water connections. This prevents further damage to the system, your lawn, and your plants. You return home to a far more manageable issue to resolve at less cost and stress.
Hiring a Home Sprinkler Contractor Should Not be Hard
We’ve seen just a few quick examples of how modern sprinkler systems offer a huge amount of advantages over older models. The costs are nearly the same as most commercial spaces and homeowners opt for automation making them more readily available and functional. If you’re looking to get a quote be sure you’re doing a bit of research but also working with the right local landscaping company that specializes in irrigation and sprinkler systems. Doing this sort of work requires specific licenses and permits because it is connected to local water tables.
For the best Home Sprinklers Rockland County NY, look no further than over 30 years of local expertise right here at Pro Cut Landscaping. Call us today and we’ll do an in-home consultation and survey of your property to determine the best fit.